Friday, June 22, 2007

What do you wish for your children?

At our Christian School, we are trying our best to help children develop a biblical worldview. God has called us to do it and it seems that everywhere I turn there are articles being published on it. I read a great article yesterday on how we, as Americans, view college. It described the two ways that we live our lives:

Do you live your life on the Biblical story? - the true story of creation, fall, redemption and consummation.

OR

Do you base your life on the world's story which goes like this - Life is about you. Life is about making a lot of money to have a lot of stuff?

Surely, we would all like to think that we live our lives from the Biblical story - but according to this article - part of the answer lies in how you view college.

According to the world's story - college is about getting a degree to get a higher paying job to make a lot of money. A college degree appears to be a ticket to a better life. A way of fulfilling the American Dream. I would agree with the article that most of us Christians do view college that way.

However, when we look at the Biblical story we know that we are created in His image, given mind's to think and gifts with which to serve Him. A person who bases his or her life on the Biblical story will understand college as a great opportunity to develop the mind and gifts that God has given him or her - and discern God's call. In other words, college is all about increasing our serviceability for God.

Think of those who serve our families and communities - policemen, fire fighters, teachers, and the many others. Many have to work several jobs just to support their families. It seems we have become too concerned with SUCCESS in this world rather than service. Jesus' life was marked by service. That should give dignity to the service that some feel too important to do. May the Lord give us more people with gifts of service - and our children the right view of this world.

What do you wish for your children?

Have a great day in Him -

Kim

5 comments:

Tisha said...

Hey Kim - started reading your blog through Nicki's. My twins go to HGBCS and one of them (Grace) will be in your class next year. We are very excited. Anyways, I love your blog today. I have ALWAYS said that yes, education is important and if my girls want to go to college and pursue whatever, then great, but ABOVE ALL I want them to be women of God. If they so choose to not attend college, but are working for the Lord or pursuing other things, even better. I don't want their only goal in going to college to be to "get ahead". Most people think I'm crazy, but I want nothing else but for them to live for the Lord and love him with all their heart.

Kim said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and posting. I am really praying that this will be a tool to reach parents in my classroom this year. (To share spiritual messages with the moms and to help them get to knwo me better too!) I will be stopping by your page as well - Tell Grace that I have been praying for her and that I will be sending her a letter soon. I remember speaking to you in car line a lot last year - so glad we are together next year! Have a great day!

Kim said...

Opps...Tisha, do you have a blog? If so, invite me - I would love to get to know your family. :)

Tisha said...

No, I don't have a blog. At least not yet. I have been thinking about it and several friends have "encouraged" me, but have not gotten there yet. It has been so neat to have some insight into Grace's teacher for next year though. I'll let you know if I start one.

Kim said...

I read Nicki's for a long time before I decided to try one - I LOVE IT! You will too - I find that it helps keep me more accountable and I have learned so much from others. Give it a try - it is easy to do!