Monday, June 4, 2007

She Remembered the Joy

Well, I am 40 now....and I am still okay with it! I had a blast yesterday just feeling it - I must admit that I spent more time in the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) renewing my license than I did at dinner with my hubby and son. The staff at the DMV was actually cordial and they all delighted in wishing me a Happy 40th!

As I sat there waiting for my number to light up on the board, I realized that I had to choose joy and come up with some way to pass the time - so I took out a pen and began to journal my observations. First of all, the DMV is one of the most interesting places in the world to "people watch." There were young, nervous teens there to try for a license for the first time and some even more anxious ones that were there to take the road test for the 2nd and 3rd time.

There were drivers with suspended license waiting for a second chance. Some there to get a commercial driver's license so they could seek employment. There were procrastinator's like me, there to get a license renewed at the last minute, there were some who did not speak English and relied on others for direction and help. And my favorite, the old men who had nothing else to do today but strike up conversation with anyone who appeared to be willing to talk. I loved eavesdropping and hearing them talk about "the old days."

As I entered the building to obtain a number for waiting, I thought I recognized the beautiful face of a young lady already seated in the room. I smiled at her and took a seat in the row behind her. I watched her as she graciously translated Spanish to English to some strangers in the room that sought direction and understanding. I sat there a while wondering how long this would take before reaching in my purse to take out a pen.

I noticed that the lady next to me had just started reading a Nicholas Sparks novel and I couldn't resist quizzing her about the other novels she had read by my favorite author. We chatted and as soon as I laughed the beautiful young lady in front of me, turned and said, "Mrs. Staples, I knew it was you as soon as I heard you laugh - I remember your laughter." At that moment, it clicked. She was Marilyn - a beautiful young lady that I taught back in 98 -99. We recalled our 5th grade year together and she shared with me that she was now a junior at Wingate University. But she ended out conversation with - I will always remember your laugh!

Now, ladies, that left an impression with me - at the time I taught her I was teaching public school. I was not allowed to verbally share my testimony with my students - but they saw me live it daily and what left a lasting mark on her was not just the sound of my laughter - it was my joy in Christ! Boy that made my hour and a half wait at the DMV worthwhile - I didn't pat myself on the back - it is so not about me - I prayed for Marilyn and I thanked God that He let our paths cross again....I count it a joy to have served Him as Marylin's 5th grade teacher - What a privilege He has given me to be important in the lives of His precious children!

Thank you Lord for allowing former students to cross my path to remind me of the awesome task that you have called me to do - You are awesome and you made my 40th birthday special with a gentle reminder of who I am in you!

Living Out the Joy That Can Only Be Found in You, Lord -

Kim

No comments: