Saturday, June 23, 2007

It's a Matter of Confidence

"He who believes in the Son of God has the witness in himself; he who does not believe God has made Him a liar, because he has not believed the testimony that God has given of His Son. " I John 5:10

My hubby has invested many hours in witnessing to a family member who is certain that he is saved. However, his lifestyle greatly reflects otherwise - not judging - just calling it as God's word indicates. Anyway, the situation has lead hubby and I to have some fantastic discussions. The once saved, always saved is a topic that has always stirred great debate in my own family when we compare denomination beliefs.

Anyway, this brought about a curiosity in me to learn more - and I have found it in this scripture. This scripture provides the greatest test - a test of confidence. You do not just believe ABOUT Jesus - You believe IN Jesus. Research on this verse reminded me that the verse in written in the present tense - not the past - It reads, "He who believes....not He who believed." Our confidence is to be in the present tense.

You often hear people talk about their testimony in terms of " I remember walking down the aisle when I was 10. I gave my heart to Jesus then -Oh, I may not be living for Him today - but I know that I am saved because I remember what I did when I was 10. I remember believing what Jesus did for me."

The Bible does not use an experience as proof of salvation. It never says that you will know that you are saved by an event in the past. Don't get me wrong - that is a necessary step to begin a personal relationship with Jesus. However, the focus is on the present tense - "He who BELIEVES" It is simple. If you are believing, you did believe.

Don't just rely on some prior experience. The question is "Are you believing in Jesus right now?"

Have a great Saturday and enjoy your worship experience tomorrow!

Kim

No comments: