Monday, July 2, 2007

Small Things....

I can tell you this much is true...there is no such thing as a "maintenance free" home. I am exhausted from painting but glad to have what I hope to be the most difficult part behind me. We had a great day in the Lord yesterday - hubby taught our Sunday School class and then Dr. Rummage preached a fantastic sermon on America sliding toward Sodom.

One of Dr. Rummage's key points was that we have a choice daily - do we choose Heaven or Earth? and that set me to thinking about how I manage my time. Don't get me wrong, blogging is a wonderful thing but I can quickly lose track of time in Blogland. That's my reason for this late post today - I tried to prioritize my day by the things I had to do first and then reward myself with blogging. So don't feel like you are last priority - you are my reward! :)

When is the last time you read a passage in Zechariah? Well, if you look at Chapter 4 verse 6 it says - "Lord, help me to remember it's not by my power, nor by my might, but by your Spirit that I accomplish anything worthwhile."

So many things seem little - a warm smile to a stranger, a kind word to someone visiting your church, cookies to welcome someone to the neighborhood, a call to say How are you? and you really WANT TO KNOW how they are, looking someone in the eye while they are talking to you....an extra moment to recall a favorite scripture, a prayer on behalf of a friend when they pop into our memory....

Discipline yourself to do the small things first. I challenge you to remember to do the"small things" - they are far more important than you think, and they open the door for you to have larger opportunities to minister in the future.

What "small things" would He have you do for someone today?

Kim

5 comments:

Speaking Thru Me Ministries said...

awesome post - got me thinking and I like that!!

Have a great day or evening!

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

I love this.....I think I get myself way to caught up in the "big" stuff and forget that just simple things can be life-changing. I can even apply that to loosing weight, I'm either in all the way or not at all.....not at all is the way right now! =)

Well, I'd love for you to post a before and after picture of your house! You know Kris and I.......we're about to be home improvement junkies!! =)

Have a great night!

Karen Hossink said...

Hi Kim,
Thanks for sharing these thoughts. Just yesterday I was thinking about how I need to guard my blogging time, lest it take over my life and keep me from things that are really important, i.e. my family!
And the small thing He's put on my heart today? I have to go to the laundry mat and take my kids along...I'm going to bring extra quarters and play video games with them while we wait for the wash. Seems silly at first, but I know they'll enjoy it and that's what matters to me!
Love,
Karen

Valarie said...

Girl, love this post!! You couldn't be more right about getting wrapped in bloggy-land!

Oh and didn't you just LOVE Dr. Rummage Sun morning! I couldn't write fast enough!! Love how he brings the Word alive!

Have a good holiday!!!

Toknowhim said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog... You are so right about the blogging thing. I recently sort of gave up one idol, only to find myself replacing it with the computer (blog). I must fill myself up with the Spirit first, and then I will know how best to spend my time.

Thanks, Kim