Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Three Cheers for the Red, White and Blue!

"For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another." Galatians 5:13


I will never forget my 30th birthday...three fellow teachers and I ventured to NYC to take in a Broadway show, tour the WTC, visit NBC studios, wave like the crazy people that you see outside the TODAY show each day and take in the sights and sounds of the BIG APPLE. But of all of the things I experienced during that trip - I will never forget the impact that Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty had on me. They had to drag me back to the ferry at closing time.

It was because I have always valued my freedom. And there I stood gazing up at the very symbol of freedom that greeted the millions that came to our country seeking that same freedom. Touring the museum at Ellis Island and viewing how immigrants sacrificed to come to our country in pursuit of the American Dream gave me such a deep appreciation for my freedoms in the USA.

As we pause from our regular schedules today to participate in patriotic celebrations, let us remember the sacrifices made by our forefathers - The vision that they had for religious freedom and independence. The way that they put their lives on the line to sign the Declaration of Independence. Teach your children about the sacrifices of those men that make America what she is today.

Give thanks for the brave men and women of our military who serve so that our freedoms are protected. Pray for continued success in Iraq and peace in their efforts. Pray for our nation and her leaders. And above all, praise God for the greatest freedom that we have in America - the freedom to worship and pray when and how we wish. God bless America!

Enjoy your freedom in Christ today -

Kim


Here is a great idea to do with your kids on this week to have them participate in an act of kindness for a soldier.Go to www.anysoldier.com Choose a soldier to adopt this week. He/She will have posted items that they are in need of if you wish to send a care package. If not, at least have your child write a letter or send a card thanking them for protecting our freedoms. Anyway, all the FAQ and info is there - get on board and thank a soldier!Once you select a soldier, you will receive an immediate email with the soldiers address. Encourage your children to pray for that serviceman/woman daily. Be a blessing to someone who sacrifices for you each day!Happy 4th!

Posted by Kim at 1:16 AM 2 comments

3 comments:

Kim said...

Lisa,
I saw your post on here but I accidently made it disappeat when I edited and combined these two entries. Bloggin 101: Cutting and pasting does not work on comments....

Anyway, thanks for posting and I hope you guys have a Happy 4th!

Military Mommy said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog today. And also for your support of our military. The website you mentioned is a wonderful resource for showing our military our appreciation. : )

Hugs & have a great 4th,
Michelle

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

Hope you had a great fourth of july! I enjoyed reading this post! Take care and have a great day!!