Thursday, July 19, 2007

How's Your Flavor?

There was a time in our country when a man's word meant something. Many business deals were simply closed and sealed with a firm handshake. Giving someone your word meant something. Well, today, I began thinking about that after reading this scripture found in Luke 14:34 "Salt is good; but if the salt has lost its flavor, how shall it be seasoned?"

So I did what any savvy Internet girl would do and I googled "salt". I was reminded of three things that salt does:

1. A little salt sets the flavor in food. Southern gals, have you ever tried to eat grits without adding a generous amount of salt?

2. Salt is a preservative. The pilgrims used salt to cure food to be used later. Oh, I do love my country cured ham to go with my grits!


3. Salt has healing properties. How many times do we tell our children how great the ocean will be for healing a freshly skinned knee 0r advise someone to soak a sore body part in salt water or rinse with salt water to heal a tender gum? Ever bought sea salt to smooth your elbows and heels, Ladies?

Committed Christians are similar to salt in the fact that:

1. We add a better flavor to the life around us.

2. We preserve the good of God's creation.

3. We bring healing to the hurting people around us.

Salt was a valued item in Jesus day. You often see where he used it in His illustrations to demonstrate the influence that Christians have on those around them. We are to be the salt of society- making positive contributions to society. We are called to be concerned and committed. When we are - Christ can use us to do a great deal of good.

How would you evaluate the strength of the flavor of your Christian life today?

Kim

6 comments:

stam said...

Kim,

Good stuff! That is just perfect for my upcoming trip. I might need to quote you in the devo book! :)

Love you!

Kim said...

Thanks for commenting - I will be praying for you guys next week. Did the passports come?

Love ya girl!

Lisa said...

Hope I am strong enough for others through this christian walk as I would like to be. Hope my flavor lets everyone know I am there for them when they need me. My prayer is for God to strenghten that flavor in me to reach other people for him.

Love ya,
Lisa

Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ThreeGirlyGirls said...

I loved this post! The bible study I wrote this past year had a lot to do with this. I talked a great deal about being "salty" Christians.
Good stuff!! Have a great night! How's the bathroom? Done yet?

Kim said...

Yes the bathroom is finshed - thanks for asking- I am starting in the guest room today. (after I paint the garage door).