Tuesday, July 17, 2007

"If You Give a Mouse a Cookie..."

I have always been drawn to children's books. I am always in search of a new one to introduce to my first graders but this morning as I began renovating the bathroom, I was reminded of one of my very favorite children's books: If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.

In case you haven't read it, it is about a hungry mouse who knocks on the door, and the little boy in the story gives him a cookie. But when he gives him a cookie, he wants a glass of milk. He gets a glass of milk, then he needs to look in a mirror to make sure he doesn't have a milk mustache . . . he then notices that he needs a trim . . . he has to borrow the scissors . . .
It's a cute story. Most of the funniest bits are in the illustrations, which show a little boy being run ragged by the escalating demands of the mouse.


Why this thought today? Because it describes how we are in the world. In renovating the bathroom, I want a new bronze towel bar (40.00) but then if I do that - I need a new shower rod to match the new shower curtain and I want a new bathroom vanity mirror to replace the standard one that was here when we bought the house, but then I will want new lighting to match the mirror ( and if I change that lighting - I need to replace the one over the shower and then I will want a faucet to match all the other hardware and then I will need new cabinet handles to coordinate - oh the cycle is vicious. (And to think it ALL started with a $20.00 gallon of paint!)

I can identify with that little mouse wanting and the little boy that is running around trying to keep up. I had to force my self to step back and remember that He will supply all of our NEEDS - not wants. "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." Phil. 4:19

Ladies, can't we easily convince ourselves that we NEED something? But whew, I can get carried away in a project. I am determined to stay grounded and do it one step at a time. In the meantime, I think I will enjoy a simple cookie and count all my other blessings!

Choosing to focus on the needs,

Kim

3 comments:

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

Oh can I relate to this!!! As we've been making our "to do" list for our new house I have become OVERWHELMED at the thought of what is ahead!! And I have gotten the same thinking well, if we do then it's going to be this and that and it goes ON AND ON!!

So what color did you pick? =)

Love ya!

Kim said...

Nicki -
I chose a darker shade of beige for the bathroom area, cinammon for the vanity area and a light shade of green for the guestroom. My theory was to buy all of the paint so I would be committed to the project. So I am ticking it off one "cookie" at a time. Have a great day!

Kim said...

Update - got the bronze towel bar for 25.00 - decided to be content with a the black shower rods that I currently have and I decided to wait on the rest. Not bad - but I had to really control my urges at Lowe's this morning. :)