Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Candlelight Family Dinner, please....

I have noticed lately that my seven year old appears to be setting a record for growth. I must admit when I look at him, I do have a tendency to forget that he has only been walking and talking for about 5 1/2 years. We expect so much of children today. We expect them to run the busy schedules of over taxed adults and rise to our ever-increasing demands to read and write ahead of others. Sadly, we feel that if we don't expose our children to as much extra-curricular activities as we can, then they are missing out on too many opportunities to learn. Trust me, I am just as guilty as the next parent but I must admit that I am really looking to scale back in the next year.

Our son would rather stay home than do anything else. When we returned from family vacation this summer, he said "Guys, it sure is good to be back home. I had fun but I missed this place." He LOVES staying home and would prefer to do so over a trip to Chuck E. Cheese - well, he would take a rain check on that one and cash it in at a later date. But for today, he would choose to stay at home.

I thought it was precious last night when I was just putting the finishing touches on my spaghetti sauce for dinner, he entered the kitchen and said, "Mom, may I set the table for a nice family dinner?" I said, "Sure." And then he added, "Is it okay with you, if I turn off the TV?" I said, "Sure," and then he added, "Can we light some candles?"

Now, I must admit by this time, I was thinking about how someday some lucky little princess is going to be so blessed to marry my little handsome prince - but you see, I was tired - my gut instinct was to say, "No, maybe next time, because I really didn't feel like digging out fresh candles." But then I was able to fast forward to a day not so far away that he will probably complain about having to eat dinner with us, and I savored the moment and said, "Let's do that....that would be nice."

As I reflected on this, I realize how secure he must feel knowing that his mom and dad really love one another and how secure he must feel to know that our home is built on the foundation of Christ. Not to mention, how secure he must have felt in helping put together a special moment for our family.

Folks, our children are only this age one time - no matter how tired or busy we are....we can't afford to not do it right. May we all be reminded of that today.

Praying for you and your family,

Kim

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Enjoyed thie post....Sam is such a sweetheart. I could not tell you the last time we all sat down together must less all together at the dining room table. When you posted they are only this age once...it brought to my mind that Mikey will be 18 in 3 months and out in the real world in May----my prayer is that we have instilled in him all God had intended for us to do.

Hope things are going well for you...God has really layed you on my heart the last couple of weeks...I am concerned.

Love ya girl,
Lisa

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

Awe........!!! What a fine young man he is turning out to be!!! =) That is just TOOOOOO sweet!! (sighs...) Can we just arrange the marriage for them??!!! =)

Valarie said...

Girl, you're raisin' that boy right! I know you're already praying for his princess and thanks for reminding me to do the same. Awesome!!
Love ya girl.
Val

Kim said...

Nikki, Lisa and Val,

Thanks girls - you guys are funny. Thanks for posting and for being my bloggin buddies.