Thursday, May 31, 2007

You Are Not Your Own

Today I was inspired to dig deeper in the word concerning our view of ourselves and the discovery and acceptance of our gifts. In Romans, Paul writes about discovering spiritual gifts.

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service." Romans 12:1

What he is reminding us here is that we are not our own. That we have to be willing to be a living sacrifice - it amazes when I hear people talking about giving it to God - it was His anyway! It is taking off our hands what already belongs to Him.

If you continue to read the next two verses, "and do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is good and acceptable and perfect will of God. For I say, though the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith."

When you make this sacrifice - your mind is transformed. You will have a new mind to think with - and you will be better able to recognize your gift. Don't insult your creator by saying that you don't have a gift - that is unbelief and rebellion.

Gift are best discovered in the fellowship of the church as referenced in verses 4 and 5. I love what the late Adriane Rogers wrote: "When you learn to accept yourself, be yourself, and give of yourself to the fellowship, you're going to discover your gift. You are naturally supernatural."

I am so tired of women wearing "busyness" as a badge of honor in our society- we need to just focus on what we were called to do. God gave us a natural bent towards what we were created to do - it should feel natural. And you know, when we do what feels natural - there is always a sense of fulfillment in our hearts and minds.

You are a gifted child of God - May He bless you with a great day in Him!

Kim

3 comments:

Lisa said...

ya know Kim....I am amazed at what god is doing through this. As I read them it inspires me to post more. Thanks for allowing God to use you through your post to speak to others. You have truly been a inspiration to me to want to get in the word more through this. Be looking for another blog post...I am excited.

Kim said...

Great to hear Lisa - Let's grow girl...let's grow :)

Tracey said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Thought I would return the visit and am glad I did!

I love your insight into this passage. We have all been given very specific gifts by our Savior and should feel blessed to use them!