Wednesday, May 30, 2007

God Will Provide

I have always had a "laid back" attitude about money. When my hubby complains about an extra bill, I always respond with "at least God provided the money for us to pay it." and for those time when we don't have the extra money to pay it - I stand on the promise that He will provide.

My hubby used to suffer from what I referred to as MMS - Mortgage Monthly Syndrome. He became so irritable when he paid the mortgage - but a mission trip to Nicaragua cured that - he realized how blessed we are to have a roof over our head - compared to the lean to's and primitive housing that those in third world countries reside in.

This morning God lead me to a passage in John 19:25-27. "Now there stood by the cross of Jesus His mother, and His mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus therefore saw His mother, and the disciple whom He loved standing by, He said to His mother, "Woman, behold your son!" Then He said to the disciple, "Behold your mother!" And from that hour that disciple took her to his own home.

You know the phrase "God will provide" can seem almost an overused promise at times - especially when spoken by someone who is anxious to dismiss our fear and anxiety. However, as I read this passage today, I realize just how profound this phrase can be.

Jesus suffering was intense. He had been weakened by a night of trials, tortured during a horrific beating by Roman soldiers - He had fallen on the way to the cross under the load He was forced to carry. Yet as He hung on the cross - each breath he took in agony because his lungs were filling with fluid - he was essentially drowning - He had to summon the energy to somehow lift himself up a little to breathe.

Yet the Bible tells us that in all of this suffering, when He saw Mary standing there, His thoughts were for her. He asked John to take care of her for the rest of her life - wow - If Jesus fought through excruciating pain when He was on the cross to provide for Mary, surely the glorified Christ who is now in heaven will provide for you and me.

Standing on His promises,

Kim

5 comments:

Speaking Thru Me Ministries said...

wow - awesome thoughts - thanks for sharing!!!

you got a gift girl!!!

Kim said...

Thanks so much Leigh for taking the time to read - I am now a daily reader of your blog too!

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

MMMMMMM, good stuff!!! I love that thought!! WOW! Preach on! =)

Lisa said...

Just wanted you to know that ever since I have started reading your blog each one of them has spoken to me in some sort of way. "God will provide" really stepped on my toes. I have never looked at it that way. It's easy to trust in him when you're on the mountain but that faith is tested when your are in the valley. Love ya girl...keep posting...very inspirational.

Lisa said...

Okay Kim....you have inspired me to create my own blog. I have enjoyed the ones I have read and hope I can be an inspiration to others. Looking forward to hearing from all of you out there.