Tuesday, May 29, 2007

No You Can't Do It All

You know, one of my downfalls is that I try to do too much - to be everything to everybody. As I read Max Lucado's Cure for the Common Life, I am reminded that I am not God's solution to society, but A solution IN society. Boy, that put things in perspective kind of quickly.

I am not a good listener because I am too busy trying to "Fix It" when I sould be quiet and listen. You know I want to help my friends solve all of their problems, I want to be a Daughter In Law that shows great compassion to my MIL, I want to be the best wife and mother in the history of the world, I want to be a great teacher, a loving neighbor, a loving daughter, a doer of HIS word.....but I fall so short in trying to do it all well.

God didn't call me to be everything to everybody. In fact, it is quite the opposite. Life in the "sweet spot" is all about putting your gifts/strengths to work for HIS kingdom.

In 2 Timothy 1:6 Paul writes: "Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands." or I love the way it is written in the NASB: "Kindle afresh the gift of God which is in you." It all comes from Him - We exist for Him so that He receives the glory and honor for all that we do.

We are to use our uniqueness to make a big deal about God....and not promote self by being everything to everybody. God gives us gifts so that we can make Him known. He expects us to manage them well. What are you doing with the gifts He gave you?

You know, I once heard Cyndi Wood of the Frazzled Female say, "If you are busy doing something that God did not ask you to do - you are standing in the way of the one that He did call to do that task." She followed that up by saying, "and He will not bless you for it.

Wow - that stuck with me....and shortly after that I gave up a ministry in the church that I only did out of guilt because "no one else" would volunteer. And God blessed me in return by opening up a door to something He had really called me to do!

So what do you need to give up, reevaluate or commit to today? I encourage you to pray about it - I know that I am!

Kim

2 comments:

Speaking Thru Me Ministries said...

Hey Kim - i love it - another blogger. thi is great and what a great message today. I can relate - been there done it and will probabaly make the mistake again!!!

thanks and have a great day!

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

Kim,

You are so right on.......I so often have found myself stepping up out of guilt....and wondering why I'm so miserable doing it!!! =) Have a great day!