Friday, December 14, 2007

Mama, Do You Think.....

"Mama, do you think...?" I have to confess to you that sometimes those words scare me. As moms, we do not like to be caught off guard. I never know what random thought is about to escape my analytical son's brain and better yet flow through his lips. However, he has shown so much spiritual growth this year that it is a blessing to watch him process things through his spiritual eyes and compassionate heart. It is amazing how my view of the world and situations are influenced by the way he processes things.

I was reminded of that today. After running errands, we pulled in to the parking lot at Walgreens. I saw a gentleman who was collecting money for an alcohol and drug rehab program in a similar fashion that the Salvation Army collects during the holidays. Now I am not one to carry cash - we are debit card addicts - but there I sat digging through the contents of my purse, pulling change from every nook and cranny - including the console of our car. I passed a handful of change to my son and instructed him to drop it in the bucket as we entered the store. He did and began asking how long we were going to be in the store.

As we walked up and down the aisles, he complained - no I will be honest - he WHINED about being thirsty. To which I replied in my best mom tone - "Don't you think that I am thirsty too? I said that we will get something on the way out - now come on...I have to finish collecting the items on my shopping list."

We hurried along completing my shopping list, grabbing a Coke for me and a chocolate milk for my son, checked out at the register....and then the thought hit me that perhaps the gentleman outside the store was thirsty as well. As my son reached for his milk, I said take my Coke and on our way to the car give it to the man outside the store and tell him that Jesus loves him. He said, "But Mom, aren't YOU thirsty? Don't YOU want it?" I said, "I can wait and get something at home."

We exited the store and the gentleman thanked us again for our donation and I said, "We took the liberty of getting you a Coke - God bless you!" He thanked us and my son and I proceeded to get in the car.

As we pulled away, my son said, "Mom I know you were really thirsty and you gave that man your Coke. Mom, do you think after he drinks it, he will thank God for it instead of us? Cause it was really God who wanted you to give it to him and I know that is why you did it. I love you mom!"

What amazed me was that through all of it, I said nothing about feeling the Holy Spirit nudging me to share - it was my son's observation and analysis of the situation that impressed me and that he wanted God to get the glory and honor for my random act of kindness. (and rightly so...)

What will your children see in you this Christmas season? I want to be more like Him in 2008. Don't you?

Have a blessed weekend!

Kim



2 comments:

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

What a precious memory that will be for him!!! I loved it!!

Valarie said...

So precious! Yet, so convicting as well. The rush and busyness are easy to get caught in! What a shining example you are to that sweet boy!

Thanks for letting me pop in your class. You've got a room full of my little sweethearts! I almost asked if I could just come in and play with them for a bit! hahaha
V