Friday, December 21, 2007

Don't Miss It!

Luke 2: 1-7
And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be taxed. (And this taxing was first made when Cyrenius was governor of Syria.) And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city. And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:) To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child. And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered. And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.

Don't you just love the Christmas story? Can you imagine being there in Bethlehem that night? I wonder how many busy townspeople missed out on God coming so near?

I have vowed to not do that in our home. I begin my shopping in September- sometimes earlier and I am always finished the day after Thanksgiving. For those of you who are retail professionals - we dub that day Black Friday.

I have the trees put up and the house decorated the weekend prior to Thanksgiving so that all of the extra stuff that can distract you is complete. That way we can focus on the true meaning of Christmas in our home. I really get disturbed to see how the prices escalate on the few HOT toys for the season or to see parents put so much emphasis on the items on their children's list. Don't get me wrong...we do Santa and we have fun with it but we keep it in perspective.

Christmas Day just comes too quickly....Don't you just love how for ONE day of the year it is as if EVERYONE worships? You see HIM in almost every face you see....and then after one reverent day - the world returns to its current state of "It's all about me!"

How about you? Will you be too busy to miss it?

Look for moments in the next few days when God will come near - reflect on them this season and savor them as we enter 2008.

Merry Christmas!

Kim

2 comments:

Valarie said...

Merry Christmas to you sweet sister! I'm so thankful the Lord used bloggy-world to bring you into my life!! Thanks for the reminder to slow it down this week! Love to you and yours!
Val

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

WoW......you've inspired me to BE ON THE BALL next year!! I'm such a wate till the last minute girl and I hate it!

I know things are busy, but let's try to get together soon!! =) merry Christmas!