Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Not Even Giants of Faith Get Exactly What They Want

This weekend, I am speaking to my mom's women's ministry on the topic of Faith. Please pray for me as I share with them. I have enjoyed researching Hebrew 11 in order to share with them. So I thought I would share a little of it with you.

Faith is an odd word. I thought I knew what it meant until I started thinking about how I was going to describe it to this group of ladies. We hear people say, "Keep the faith." or "You just gotta have faith." But what does it mean? The Bible uses the word faith more than 320 times. Then I thought, is faith the same as belief? So I looked them up and discovered that faith is defined as unquestioning belief and so then I looked up belief. Belief is defined as religious faith. So then I asked myself - Well, can you have one without the other?

A lot of people think that if you "muster up" enough faith - you will get rich, stay healthy and live a contented life....I think most of us are evidence that it just doesn't happen that way!

The faith described in Hebrews is not sugar coated. It is a tough faith - a constant commitment to hang on and believe God against all odds no matter what.

Faith most resembles a difficult race. Read Hebrews 12:1 and imagine yourself running a footrace with all of these "Faith Hall of Famers" watching from the sidelines - Abraham, Jacob, Isaac, Moses, Joseph, Noah and more. I wonder what Father Abraham would think about some of our unbelief? How must we look to those who have been stoned to death for their faith?

As I studied this passage, I realize how much I have been blessed. I am ashamed when I read about what the Old Testament Saints accomplished. But the writer of Hebrews assures us that God is a rewarder for those who are diligently seek Him. Faith is a simple confidence in our heavenly father. In this race Ladies, no one loses. If we finish, we will get the reward.

How do you define faith?

Have a great day in Him -

Kim

3 comments:

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

What a thought provoking post!! Whew!! First, I will definately be praying for you! How exciting to see God using you!! Faith is a hard subject because I think you're right, many people do believe that if they pray hard enough it's gonna happen. And I do think the Lord wants us to have that kind of faith but our faith needs to be more focused on the fact that we simply believe God because of who He is....it's not about us, I guess is what I'm trying to say.

Let us know how it goes! I'll be praying! How's Sam doing? Taylor said he had a great project! (the space man one) Take care!!

Speaking Thru Me Ministries said...

hey - i didn't know you are a speaker! how cool!!! Tell us how it went!!!

Love, Leigh

Kim said...

Leigh,
It went well but it is something that I am so uncomfortable doing....people are shocked to hear me say that because I talk all the time. Different when everyone's staring at you, isn't it? I help my mom's small church out by assisting them in planning women's retreats/activities. Chat with you soon!