Saturday, January 5, 2008

Never Trust a Skinny Cook

That old adage - Never Trust a Skinny Cook - is true. I am a huge fan of Paula Deen and one of the reasons is that I think that she represents the south so well. Most of my childhood memories of my grandmothers revolve around the kitchen.

My grandma lived her last several years alone but she cooked a southern spread for us each Sunday that would make Paula Deen proud. Her southern fried chicken was the best and she made the best fried pies - all from scratch - I well remember her draining the chicken and the fried pies on brown grocery bags across the kitchen counter. No wonder a stick of butter in almost every recipe I make...It is in my DNA...healthy eating is just no fun - although, I know that hubby and I need to make a better effort to do so.

Tonight, we are going to our last party of the season. The hostess intentionally held off planning this party so that everyone could be relaxed and free to attend. (with all the Christmas errands behind them) So today, I thought I would post the recipes of the appetizers that I made to take with us tonight. You may have seen some variation of all of these before but these are my favorites. Enjoy! (and if weight loss is your New Year's Resolution, I warn you to not even tempt yourself by reading them - just print them and hide in a drawer until your next bout of PMS strikes - you'll be glad you did!)

Like Crack Cheesecake Bars:
(Hey, I didn’t name them but once you taste them, you will see why someone selected this name for them.)

2 cans of croissant rolls
2 pkgs cream cheese (8 oz.)
1 stick melted butter
1 tsp cinnamon
1.5 tsp vanilla
1.5 cups sugar

Roll out one can of croissant dough and press together the seams in a 13x9 pan. In a large bowl, blend cream cheese, one cup of sugar and the vanilla. Spread the mixture on top of the dough. Roll out the second can of croissant dough. Press the seams together and place on top of cream cheese mixture. Pour melted butter over the dough, drizzling some along the sides of the pan so it gets down to the bottom too. Mix 1/2 cup of sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle on top.Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Serve warm for breakfast or cold for dessert.

Sweet and Sour Meatballs


2 bags of frozen meatballs
1 large jar of grape jelly
1 jar of Heinz chili sauce
1 tablespoon of mustard
1 cup of Heinz ketchup

Heat in crock pot – stirring occasionally. Cook on high until ingredients mix well and then turn back to low until meatballs are served.

Dried Beef Cream Cheese Ball

2 sticks of cream cheese
3 chopped green onions
1 jar of dried beef
Dash or two of seasoned salt
Tsp or two of Worcestershire sauce

Chop dried beef and set aside one fourth of it to roll cheese ball in before serving. Mix softened cream cheese, chopped dried beef, finely chopped green onions, seasoned salt and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well and form large ball in wax paper. Chill at least an hour or longer. Roll in remaining chipped beef before serving. Serve with triscuits, wheat thins or Ritz crackers

In the words of Paula Deen - Eat up, y'all!

Kim




3 comments:

Valarie said...

OH GIRL! Sounds yummy to me! You're right, I'll have to save those for a rainy day! teehee

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement to me the other day. God was using you sweet sister! You are such a blessing to me and especially to those sweet angels in your class! I sure hope their momma's know how lucky they are to have you teaching their little ones.

Give Melanie a big hug from Ms. Valarie and Kendall too!! LOVE those kids!
Val

Mandy Goldbach said...

Hi, Kim

Thanks for leaving such an encouraging comment on my blog!

I'm just getting started journaling, but having fun so far - mainly want to keep my family (none of whom live closer than 230 miles away)in the loop during the pregnancy!

Anyway, heres to getting to know you, and others better, through blogger.com... God uses all sorts of means to speak to us - He's not limited by ANYTHING... so amazing.

I'll have to try a recipe or two... I love to cook!

Love and prayers,
Mandy

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

Girl, I LOVE me some Paula!! MMMMMMhhmmmm!!

I don't think that Monday nights are going to work, or at least not for a few weeks. Kris is taking a class to take a test or something and I think it's like 8 weeks. So....I'm flexible, you let me know if there's another day that will work better or if we should wait. Talk to you soon!