Thursday, January 17, 2008

Winter Storm 2008

WINTER STORM 2008 - that is the warning that we continually saw on the newscast the past 48 hours. I have to admit with all of the warnings that I went to the grocery store after school yesterday to buy some goodies (oh, the pressure of being "trapped" without the necessities for your family) - I am not one to purchase the proverbial milk and bread - if I am going to be in for a day or two, I want grits, bacon and eggs and raspberry hot chocolate with whipped topping. Can I get a witness?

Well, I woke up at three o'clock this morning to see that the ground was covered in snow - beautiful snow. I had the urge to wake the hubby and child but resisted temptation at the thought of them being grumpy if we did have to go. I snuggled back under the covers and just KNEW that we would be at home all day today.

I turned on the TV to check out the news - I just adore our local news forecast. Being that we don't get a lot of snow in this area, we certainly get excited and go overboard at the thought of a little dusting of the white stuff. I laid on the couch this morning and watched two hours of video footage of slag trucks on the roads and reporters warning people to stay in.

I needed to head for the shower but, I waited until 5:15 am, then told myself that our headmaster would call school by 5:30 am, then I said, "Okay - if he is going to call it , surely he will do it by 5:45." You see, all other surrounding counties were out - everyone in our neighborhood was out today, but not us. Now it was okay - mmmm.... let's see: A day off to clean or a great day in the classroom? Either one would be fine but I got the latter.

By the way, the roads were just slushy - they did a great job of salting down all of the local roads and bridges. (and we were thankful to make it safely)

I only had 12 kids this morning and they were MAD that they had to come. I said, "Don't grumble - grab a pencil and write about how you are feeling. They wrote things similar to this:

"I did not want to come to school today. I wanted to stay home and drink hot chocolate. I wanted to build a snowman. I am sad."

You have to love first graders and appreciate them for their honesty.

They were so cute and they got over it quickly when I told them that we would have a great time today. Work a little; play a little; work a little; play a little, etc. Tough conditions but we survived.

Whatever you did today, I pray that you got to play a little too!

Kim

1 comment:

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

You are such a great teacher!!! We were a mess by all that confusion too.......I was VERY surprised that HG didn't close!! In fact, I had already arranged my whole day around them not going to school and then Kris called me to tell me they did!!!

How awesome that you turned their negative thoughts into something positive!! THAT is a gift my friend!!