Friday, June 6, 2008

I Have Been Blessed!

Okay friends, I need you to pray for someone special in my life. This is my grandfather. He is 89 years old and has such a very sharp mind. He has been generally healthy but has recently had a difficult time battling gout in his foot. To make a long story short, he developed a severe infection in his foot and has been hospitalized since Sunday. To expedite his trip to the ER last Sunday, he wrapped his foot in a plastic bag to "protect" it while he worked all day in his garden on Saturday which accelerated the infection. He had surgery this afternoon and they attempted to remove the infection by amputating his toe and as much of the infected area as possible without drastically affected his balance. Please also pray for my 84 year old grandfather who will be caring for him when he comes home. They are amazing. They still live on their own and drive and have a huge garden every year.

I had the privilege to go and sit with him in the hospital for the past three days. We laughed about old times - he told me the same familiar stories of what he experienced in WWII and although we have memorized them all, we are going to miss hearing them someday. My grandfather is a treasure. He is hardworking, honest and a man of integrity. He grew up in the depression era and is such a great steward of all that he has ever earned. He dearly loves his wife of 65 years and he never fails to wash dishes for her following EVERY meal. I have had numerous conversations with him standing at the kitchen sink. He also vacuums for her. When facing surgery, his concern was not of himself but of his wife and who would be available to do those things for her while he is recovering.

I was moved to tears this morning when his 77 year old best friend called to make sure that he was right with Jesus. ( and the asked to speak to me so that I could verify that he was - precious I tell you. ) His friend told him that he loved him and just didn't want to face living in eternity without him....it is so sweet to see them humble themselves before God.

So while I am tired from traveling to be with him, I count it a blessing to have been able to do so....

Thanks for your prayers.

Kim






2 comments:

Valarie said...

Oh girl! How precious, indeed! I will certainly be praying and be sure to keep us posted!!

Love ya.
Val
PS. Hope you're enjoying your summer so far.

Stephanie D. said...

Hey, I will be praying for you and your family. (Oh I miss my granddaddy). Jonathan got Mrs. Bowman.