Thursday, August 23, 2007

Contentment

This summer I read Max Lucado's book: Cure for the Common Life and I was reminded of quite a few lessons that I have learned. Living a life on a teacher's salary has taught me a great deal about contentment. Yes, hubby and I have great schedules, plenty of time to spend with our child but, the bank account doesn't overflow with extra. Yet, our house is adequate and our cars do get us from point A to point B, we are able to educate our child in a Christian environment and we are able to live a moderate life with an occasional splurge. We obviously chose satisfaction over salary. But that is worth so much more.

One of my favorite Japanese proverbs is: "Even if you sleep in a thousand-mat room, you can only sleep on one mat." Rather that settling for the ancient Japanese proverb, if you turn to the scriptures, you find a similar warning: "It is better to have little with fear for the Lord than to have great treasure with turmoil." Proverbs 15:16

I would much rather be married to a man who is happy than one who is miserable working 70 hours a week in order to acquire more. The virtue of contentment is one to be pursued.

I am fortunate that I get to do what I love each day. Since I left public school and began teaching in a Christian school, I can't wait to get back to the classroom each day to teach my first grade babies about Jesus. Don't get me wrong, I adored all of the children that I taught in public school. However, you can have so much more of an impact when Jesus is welcome in your classroom.

I am blessed to have one of the sweetest classes that I have ever taught this year. I am blessed to have been given the opportunity to teach nineteen precious children to love reading, writing, to solve math problems and explore the world through the eyes of God. But more importantly, I have the opportunity to show them that God has a plan for their lives. He has filled them with skills and charming personalities and I count it a joy to serve my Lord in my first grade classroom.

Please pray for me each day as I lead these little ones to the cross -

Kim

4 comments:

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

Oh I've missed you so much!! I'm so glad you posted!! =) I loved reading this.....just another confirmation to know that Taylor is right where she's supposed to be....oh if those momma's in your class ONLY knew the heart of their child's teacher this year!! I'm sure Mrs.Martin has the same heart....she just doesn't have a blog!! =) I've been praying for you! Hope things are going well this year!!

Kim said...

Nikki -

I actually modified this post and emailed it to my parents today. God has really given me a desire to reach out even more this year and connect with the home more so than I have ever had the opportunity to do in my teaching career. I pray it makes a difference in someone's life. Thanks so much for your encouraging words.

Speaking Thru Me Ministries said...

oh how i miss HGBCS!!!

How are things with Tracy McDaniel?? Tell her i said hello and miss her terribly!!

love, Leigh

Kim said...

Hey, Leigh. I have only seen her on car duty which is overwhelming right now - we flip flopped our schedule with MS/HS and it has been confusing. But I will chat with her on Monday and tell her. I did tell her things would settle down in a week or two. Have a great day of worship - I will be praying for you as you speak his morning.